Immune Boosting Magnesium Baths For Kids
What are immune boosting magnesium baths?? If you’ve read any of my posts before then you know I’m always researching and finding the best way to keep my kids healthy!
But let’s be honest, aren’t all moms? Don’t we all dread the winter months and the flu and constant colds spreading in the schools and on our children’s hands? Well here is an AMAZING way to not only relax and calm your children after a long day at school or soccer, but also help support their immune system!
Most of us are actually deficient in Magnesium but are unaware of it. Magnesium plays a crucial part in regulating over 300 enzyme systems in our bodies. Most of the foods we eat today and even our water does not have the proper levels of magnesium that it used to. I learned about Magnesium Baths from Wellness Mama years ago and never looked back! You can read all about Wellness Mama’s homemade bath salt recipe here! She also mentions the importance of magnesium oil which I have yet to try! Once I do, I will update here. I loved this idea of adding magnesium salts to our baths and have been doing it for years but make my own immune boosting magnesium baths for my kids! And believe me…this works wonders and my kids even ask for it when they’re sick!
Remember, I am not a doctor. This is just something that has worked great for my family for years. Always be sure to check with your doctor if you have any questions or concerns or if your child has any medical conditions.
Difference between Epsom Salts and Magnesium Flakes
So what is the difference? I honestly use both. Epsom salts you can buy anywhere, at your local Target or drug store so it’s so easy to use. I do buy these Magnesium flakes from Amazon, but if I run out, I always have epsom salts on hand. It’s just a matter of preference. Magnesium flakes contain magnesium chloride and epsom salts contain magnesium sulfate. Magnesium flakes are more pure and actually safer to use on children. They also absorb into your skin much faster than epsom salts and the effects last longer.
Benefits of Magnesium Baths
Magnesium and Epsom Salts aren’t just for soaking your sore muscles in a bath at night. Oh no….magnesium is such an important vitamin that we absolutely need in our bodies! Soaking in a bath with epsom salts for at least 20 minutes can…..
- Eliminate toxins from the body! (To me this is the most important, especially if your child is sick!!) The magnesium sulfates in the salt help flush any heavy metals and toxins from the cells in our bodies. This is how it helps boost our immune system!
- Magnesium helps to calm and relax the nervous system. This can be wonderful for children that are very anxious or even little ones that may be stressed or worried over school situations. Stress can be a major cause in getting sick, so if we give ourselves or our children some down time to relax and relieve some anxiety, this will also boost their immunity and reduce the chances of getting sick!
- Proper levels of magnesium can help decrease the chances of diabetes and help provide proper nutrient absorption.
- Magnesium flakes can improve skin hydration and enhance the skin barrier function which helps decrease any inflammation in the body. Magnesium baths are excellent for those little ones that have eczema, sunburn, poison ivy, rashes, or other dry skin issues.
- Helps control poor circulation so say good-bye to those cold feet and hands in the winter!
- Magnesium can help relieve headaches and especially help those with constant migraines.
- It can also help heal your gut which will help your body absorb nutrients faster!
- My favorite one of all- it helps you sleep faster and better! One of the number one reasons kids can get sick so easily is from not getting the proper rest and nutrients they need!
What makes these baths awesome is that you can add the magnesium salts anytime they take a bath, sick or not and it will help flush out toxins! On a normal bath night when my children ARE NOT sick, I add epsom salts or magnesium flakes in the tub with their bubble bath. When my children are feeling sick or even super tired and possibly run down, then I skip the bubble soap and mix together this immune boosting bath below!
Immune Boosting Magnesium Bath Kids recipe
1 cup of epsom salts or magnesium flakes
1 tablespoon cup of organic raw coconut oil (I add this to dilute the oils and help moisturize the skin)
1/4 cup of baking soda (the baking soda filters the water)
3 drops of Thieves ( 6 drops for adults) YL Thieves is amazing and can be used for so many things!
2-3 drops of Lavender for calming (4-6 for adults)
If you or your child have a bad cough or congestion, then I’d add 2 drops of RC oil. It will open up your sinuses and help you breathe easier!
For more immune boosting vitamins and home remedies for your children to help them stay healthy this cold & flu season, click here!
~Make sure your children do not swallow or drink the bath water. If your little ones are anything like mine, they will! Just be sure to keep a close eye on them so they don’t get any oils in their eyes or mouth.If they splash a little in their mouth, it won’t hurt them but just be sure they don’t actually drink it! Also, this bath water may make their hair greasy so you’ll want to keep their hair out of it.
~Avoid using any soap. This may seem strange but you want your children to absorb the oils, not the soap. If you must use some soap and your kid really need some bubbles, use a small amount of a gentle soap.
~These baths will make your children thirsty because it is pulling toxins from their little bodies. Be sure to give them water to drink after their bath to replenish what they lost.
Below is everything you need for the baths! Click the photos below for more info:
I take a similar bath for myself when I’m feeling sick. If I’m super sick, then I’ll add more Thieves and a few drops of Oregano oil in the bath as well. Oregano oil is very strong, so be sure to add coconut oil to dilute it! Oregano oil will kill anything so only use it if you absolutely need it!!
For babies, you can use Young Living Sleepy Time essential oil. This is already diluted and works wonders on little upset or gassy bellies! It will also help promote sleep which is what every momma needs with a baby! For more information about essential oils, click here.
Hope your kids enjoy this immune boosting bath! 🙂
You may also like: